Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Insurgency Impressions


  Insurgency is a game that caught me completely off guard. I can't really give you guys a review on the game seeing as how I haven't played every single mode, on every map. However, I have played a lot of it recently with some friends, in both PvP, and cooperative environments. The game had a relatively quiet release from what I can remember, and it scored fairly well. Although when I played it, it grabbed me in such a unique way, that it stands out among the other military "simulations" available. 

  The presentation isn't anything that will blow your mind, but the graphics are solid, using the same engine that powers Counter Strike: GO. The stand out feature to me is the audio. There are few games that make me feel like I'm in a firefight as successfully as Insurgency. Bullets hitting the ground in front of you, kicking up dirt, and the whizzing sound of shots flying right past your head never fails to get the heart pumping. All the weapons sound authentic and pack a punch, making every kill feel satisfying yet somewhat real. Combine the incredible audio, with other realistic elements such as: manual reloading, no health regeneration, and tough enemy A.I. - You have a game that is truly intense during combat, and that carries tension during the quiet moments as well. 

  I've spent the most time playing cooperatively with a buddy of mine, and the experience has been pure fun. We team up at the main menu, thanks to an easy to use, clean interface that most shooters are lacking nowadays. We head into one of the many modes, Survival, and see how long we can hold out. The premise of Survival is simple. The team of players has to make it from objective to objective while holding off ever increasing numbers of enemy A.I. At first, they drop easily, even with a well-placed chest shot. Then about ten levels in, they start wearing body armor and becoming more and more accurate. They can be truly ruthless, and sometimes cheap. I'd often find myself getting shot within micro-seconds of being seen, and I'd also get shot through walls, or from across the map. So, the A.I. can be a bit ridiculous, but this does make for a heavy challenge that heightens the feeling of successfully making it to the next objective. The A.I. can be so tough, that the transition over to PvP can often be an easy one. The few matches I've played against other real opponents have been fun, however I find myself going back to the cooperative gauntlet that is the survival mode. 

  The game also utilizes a "weight" system to organize what you're carrying and how you unlock new gear. You start off with a small amount of weight that can be spent like currency to determine what weapons you carry, and if you're equipped with body armor or not. You can also buy accessories like night vision goggles for darker areas, or a vest that houses more ammunition. Your weapons can also be equipped with various sights, a flashlight, and even a foregrip. All of which have obvious effects on your weapons performance and efficiency. The system is handled well, however these weapons are not something you carry from match to match. Much like Counter Strike, at the start of every match you have nearly nothing, and you must work to unlock more weight to carry more equipment. If you do well, you get more weight to spend. If you die, some game modes don't give you anything. So, it really puts the emphasis on teamwork and strategy to stay alive and conquer your objectives. In my time with Insurgency, the community has been pretty awesome. Playing with randoms can sometimes be as rewarding as coordinating a victory with friends, and again, I can't say that of many shooters out there. 

  Insurgency isn't an entirely new concept. Games like Red Orchestra have been on top of the genre for a long time, and this game won't change that. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Insurgency and the game has become something I play almost everyday. I was able to grab it on Steam for 4.99 during a sale, but even it's 14.99 full price isn't a bad deal for this underrated title. It doesn't take much to run Insurgency so even if your PC is a bit older, give this game a shot. I highly recommend it to those gamers looking for an intense, realistic take on modern first person combat.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment